Updating your driving licence

Before the authorities exchange your driving licence, they will contact the authorities in your previous country of residence to check that your driving licence has not been restricted, suspended or withdrawn.When living abroad, you will have to exchange your driving licence for a local one: Monica lives in Cyprus and has an Italian driving licence which has been damaged.You will have to prove that you are a resident of that country and that you meet the conditions for having a driving licence (e.g.you have reached the minimum age, your state of health permits you to drive, etc.).

If your international driving licence (information in Dutch) has been lost or stolen, you will have to go in person to an ANWB store in the Netherlands to get a new one.Also, find out what you have to do if your driving licence is lost or stolen while you are travelling abroad.If you change your residence to another EU country, you don't usually have to change your driving licence.You can use your current licence as long as it remains valid.If you wish, you can voluntarily exchange your licence for an equivalent one in your new country of residence.

Leave a Reply